The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Saw the Movie "Red Tails"

Yesterday, I got the opportunity to see two first-class war movies, one centering on World War I, "War Horse." I will write about that one in my Cooter's History Blog.

Both that movie, and "Red Tails" dealt much with new technologies in the wars. The technology in this movie were the airplanes and at the end, the German jet fighters.

"Red Tails" was about the history of the first all-black flying unit, the 332nd Fighter Group, better known as the Tuskegee Airmen. They overcame the stereotype that blacks could never fly in air combat. Man, did they ever overcome that.

The air battle scenes were unbelievable. I wonder in the war how often US planes shot each others while shooting at the German ones.

I have written much about the Tuskegee Airmen over the years. Especially since, like with all World War II veterans, their ranks are rapidly thinning out. Check out the label section in my Cooter's History Thing Blog.

Even though these men put their lives on the lone, they were not given the respect they should have, especially by white pilots as was part of the story line. I was happy to see the bomber pilots finally accept them.

Go, Lightning!!

It Would be hard to Imagine a Better War Movie Ever Made. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment