The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Some More on the Moore Family of Castle Hayne, NC

The last blog entry was about six sons of the J.R. Moore family being in the US Navy by January 17, 1942. I was wondering what happened to them, if any died, or had they all joined at once.

I found out some more information.

Three of the sons were at Pearl Harbor on the day of the attack: Clyde, Ralph and Robert.

One died when the destroyer USS Shaw blew up in the huge explosion. He was Radioman Second Class Clyde C. Moore, one of 24 killed on the ship that day.

I did not find out anything else about the other two brothers who were there.

There were three others with last name killed that day:

Douglas Carlton Moore
James Carlton Moore
Fred Kenneth Moore

I have to wonder whether the first two might be related, their having the same middle name.

I'm Wondering. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment