The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

French Flag Returned to Paris-- Part 3

From the September 21, 2010 Australian Times.

Henri Lucius Gregoire, a resistance fighter during the war, was on hand for the unfurling of the flag.  He was the one who hoisted that flag on the day of liberation.  He said: "The flag had been hidden in the Arc de Triophe museum.  We had occupied Radio Paris on the Champs Elysses.  there was shootong between the germans and the French--I remember that my corporal was felled by a mortar round.  That is when I saw that the flag had been deployed on the Arch."

The flag was hoisted on the Paris City Hall then taken to the Museum of Paris Liberation where it is now.

A Flag With a History Beyond What It Represents.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment