The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, January 28, 2013

U.S. Army Ocean Tugs During World War II

From Wikipedia.

Back on January  5th and 9th, I wrote about ST tugs built in Deland, Florida, for the war.  I didn't know a lot about ocean-going tugs, so had to do some research.

First off, I was surprised that they were under Army control.  Being boats, I'd have to think Navy.  Were they commanded by Army officers?

They were classified as LT or ST and a total of 718 were built for the Army by 46 shipbuilders and contractors and made of steel and wood.  The "LT" stood for Large Tug and "ST or STS" for small tug.  American Machinery Corporation in Deland built ST-672 to ST-679 among others (since these were some specifically mentioned in the earlier posts.

In a different source, I found that the ST-676 was built by American Machinery in Orlando, Florida between May and July 1944.  After the war, it was sold in 1948 and had the names Sackalila and Manapla.

The ST-679 was built on the same dates as the 676 and after being sold, had the names Atlantis and Atonatl before being broken up in 1971.

SIDK: Stuff I Didn't Know.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment