The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Star Trek's George Takei Recalls His World War II Internment

From the Dec. 21, 2011, 90.9 WBUR Boston.

Executive Order 9066 caused 120,000 Japanese and Japanese-Americans from the west coast to be relocated to what were called internment camps, but much more like prison.  The actor played Hikaru Sulu on Star Trek and was 5 years old at the time.  he and his family were forced to board a bus.  Their neighbors waited until they were gone and then looted their house. 

His family spent three months in a temporary camp and then were moved to Arkansas.

His father told him that he was going on a long vacation.  "I remember the barbed wire fence that we were told not to go near.  And I remember the sentry towers that had machine guns pointed at us.  And I remember the searchlight that followed me when I made night runs from out barracks to the latrine."

A Hard Life For Them.  --GreGen




No comments:

Post a Comment