The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Keeping the Spirit of '45 Alive-- Part 3: Pearl Harbor Museum


I was glad to see a large crowd on hand for the event. A huge U.S. flag was hanging from the ladder lift of a firetruck and American flags everywhere. The Lakes Swing Band was set up behind a podium at the gazebo.

There was a museum set up as well as food available from the Polish American Legion. I toured the museum which was primarily about Pearl Harbor. A man there said his father was on the USS Ramsay during the attack.

This is the fourth year McHenry has had an event for the "Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive" and this year, along with the World War II veterans, couples married before 1953 were being honored. That is sixty years or more of marriage.

I couldn't help but think of my parents who were married in 1950. Dad was too young to fight in World War II, graduating high school in 1946.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment