The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, January 24, 2014

The Fulton Shipyard in Antioch, California-- Part 1

From the Shipbuilding History Site.

In my last post, I mentioned the APc-25 being built in the Fulton Shipyard. Since I'd never heard of it, I looked it up and found that it was located in Antioch, California, and established in 1918 and closed in 1919, located on Fulton Shipyard Road in downtown Antioch.

That is in Contra Costa County and in the East Bay area of the San Francisco Bay. (I also read something about submerged wrecks in the area as well as some environmental concerns.)

During its existence, they primarily built ships for the U.S. Shipping Board and the U.S. Navy.

During World War I, it built eight cargo ships for the U.S. Shipping Board: Yehama, Catawba, Mono, Waneyande, Wenakee and three unnamed ones (these might not have completed due to the war ending)

During the inter-war years, they built eight civilian ships.

World War II Next. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment