The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Pearl Harbor Survivor Remembers-- Part 1

From the feb. 20, 2012, Lincoln County (Oklahoma) Journal "Reed stationed at Pearl Harbor, remembers Japanese attack" by Kristen Watson. //// John Reed of Troy had just finished breakfast and was leaving when he heard a loud explosion. "I first looked toward the area of the harbor where the large gas tanks were located and then, something told me to look up. That is when I saw the Japanese bomber and I knew we were going to war. I locked my eyes on the pilot." //// He said that Pearl Harbor had been on high alert the previous two weeks which had just been lifted the day before the attack. "I remember rushing down to the armory with others to get rifles, shotguns and pistols to fire back." ////

No comments:

Post a Comment