The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

The I-58 Sank the USS Indianapolis-- Part 2: Biggest Success Was Sinking the USS Indianapolis


The most success the I-58 had during the war was the sinking of the Indianapolis on July 30, 1945 while operating between the Marianas Islands and Philippines. It was surrendered at the end of the war and was scuttled by the U.S. Navy off Goto, Japan, 1 April 1946.

It was a B3-type cruise submarine and carried Kaiten manned torpedoes (I knew about kamikazes, but not the Kaiten manned torpedoes) and damaged two destroyers during its career.

Construction on it began 25 December 1943 and was ciompleted 7 September 1944. The sub was 356 feet long and had a 94-man crew.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment