The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, June 6, 2014

Chicago Veterans Recall D-Day: "I Was Pretty Scared"

From today's Chicago Tribune.  I had the first part in my Down Da Road I Go blog, second part in Cooter's History Thing and third in my Not So Forgotten blog.

Pictures on the second page of the article:

A parachute drop near Ranville, France, on Thursday commemorates the 70th anniversary of the Allied invasion of Normandy.  The assault contributed to the defeat of Nazi Germany.  Seven spectators, perhaps participants of the original drop are watching them come down.  This re-enactment was held yesterday, but during the day.  The original one took place at night.

A current picture of Hank Rossetti, 89, of Chicago, who was a medic who parachuted into the French countryside and helped treat soldiers wounded in the D-Day invasion 70 years ago.

A black-and-white photo of Hank Rossetti and friend Jimmy Dorino in a family picture taken back then. Both are soldiers.  "I was pretty scared.  There's no doubt about it."

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment