The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Leader of Local Pearl Harbor Group Died at 90 in 2012

From the April 27, 2012, Virginian-Pilot

Frank Chebetar was a cook on the destroyer USS Phelps at Pearl Harbor and was president of the local Pearl Harbor Survivors Association which he founded in 1971.  Many local school children heard him speak of his experiences.

He said, "I just couldn't believe.  Nobody ever shot at me before and I never shot anybody else, but I was so scared I was vibrating..."

Mr. Chebetar was a driving force behind the Pearl Harbor Remembrance ceremony held each December 7th at the Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek.

In January, another local Pearl Harbor survivor, Bill Temple, 92, died.


No comments:

Post a Comment