The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

See James Starnes at Japanese Surrender-- Part 2: "Didn't Have to Tell Me Twice"

There were some interesting comments as well.

One comment referred to the fact that the man who organized it, James Starnes was still alive and gave the article I covered earlier last week.

Another comment mentioned that on the Allied side, the Instrument of Surrender, as it was called, was signed by the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, China, Soviet Union and France.

A third comment:  "When the surrender was announced in August, my mom gave me a metal dish pan and a wooden spoon and told me to go out by the front gate and bang it.  Wow!  Here I was, a little kid actually being encouraged to make noise!  She didn't have to tell me twice.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment