The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Former Senator Robert Dole on His Service-- Part 1

From the July/August AARP Bulletin "Robert Dole" by Charles Green.

"At 91, the former senator goes to his Washington law office nearly every day and visits the World War II Memorial every week.'  He is interviewed by Charles Green.

Q:  World War II in Europe ended just three weeks after you were severely wounded in Italy.  You must have wondered why it couldn't have ended a little earlier.

A:  Right.  We were supposed to start our push to get the Germans out of Italy and then when President Roosevelt died, we were in tears.  We were all young kids.  They had to delay our takeoff one day.  I've often wondered if we had done it on the day we should have, maybe that would have made a difference.  But things happen and you just turn the page and move along.

Q:  Have you ever visited Po Valley, where you were injured?

A:  Several times.  In fact, they have a plaque on a tree over there that says this is where Lt. Robert Dole was wounded.

Q:  What lessons about life did you learn from your wartime experiences?

A:  Dr. Hampar Kelikian, an American, operated on me half a dozen times and wouldn't let me pay him..  He said, "I'll get the money from my next rich client I have."

But, he told me, "You've got to make the most of what you gave left.  You just can't sell pencils on a street corner."  I couldn't use my arm very well, so I decided I'd use my head.  I went back to school and became a lawyer.

More to Come.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment