The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Pearl Harbor Survivor Wetzel Sanders, 92: "He's Been Dead for Two, Three Minutes"

From the Voice Herald "Oswego pays tribute to victims and survivors of Pearl Harbor attack."

Wetzel Sanders, 92, is one of approximately ten Pearl Harbor survivors still alive in West Virginia.

He says, "Every two or three days I think of something that happened to me or something to my buddies."

In 1970, former governor Arch Moore honored Pearl Harbor survivors with special license plates.  At the time there were still 137 alive.

"We were shooting this one plane.  It come down and I believe it tried to hit the hospital to kill us, as many as they could, but when he crashed, he missed the top of the hospital and crashed into an empty house.

"Me and two of my buddies run around and it cut him in two right at the bottom of his ribs.  He kicked him in the mouth laying there and I said, 'I don't think you need to do that.  He's been dead for two, three minutes.'"  he said with a lauch.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment