The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Death of Pearl Harbor Survivor Roland Peachee in Nevada-- Part 1

From the Feb. 11, 2016, Nevada Appael  "Ken bacon: 'Day Is Done, Gone the Sun" By Ken Beaton.

Roland Peachee joined the Navy because:  "I got tired of using a mule's rear end as a compass, and decided there had to be something better, so I joined the Navy (October 17, 1934).  After my training at Hampton Roads, Va., I was stationed on the USS Maryland, BB 46, for six years."

He reenlisted in 1940 and was reassigned to the USS Rigel at Pearl Harbor.  It was a repair ship with machine shop, above and below water welding equipment with divers and repair capability.

He was cutting meat for the crew at 7:55 a.m. under a gray-painted canvas covering a portable butcher shop when he saw puffs of smoke followed by several loud explosions.

"Thinking it was the Army (having practice), I went ahead with my work, and little did I know we were being attacked."

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment