The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Richard Winstead Borden-- Part 4: A Letter Home "Instantaneously Jump At Sharp Sounds"

Dick Borden's brother, Paul, died almost a year later.

Sometime after D-Day, Dick wrote a letter home to his parents.

'We have almost gotten situated here, the place from which I sent the pictures.  You have no idea how swell it is to be back in this peaceful, quiet spot, and be able to relax, although I must admit that most of  us are still a bit jumpy.

"For we instantaneously jump at sharp sounds and sort of flinch at first when we step off a path into tall grass, or bushes, for, 'over there' we had to watch carefully for mines.  Give us a week or two though and I think we'll all be normal.

"I know you want to know just as much as possible, so here goes.  I hope you will understand that some things will have to wait, and some are better not mentioned at all."

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment