The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Richard Winstead Borden-- Part 8: Watch Out For That Falling AA Flack

Continued from July 27.

Things were settling down and it was time to set up "home."

"There was a wall standing where a fortified house was prior to D-Day.  Here we dug our slit trenches just at the base, about three and a half feet deep and long enough for two, for we slept in pairs.  2X4's and 2X6's leaned against the wall and made swell supports for sandbags and gave added protection.

"Understand that you don't build for protection from a direct hit, but from shrapnel and AA flack falling down, and there was plenty of this at night.

"After we settled in our 'home' things were about the same each day.  From the medical supplies picked up from the beach (we lost all of ours except our personal pouches) we set up a dispensary on the other side of the wall and worked as one, except every once in a while when someone got off a trail and hit a mine.

"Well, this is my story and I've said enough.  I am mighty proud to have worked with the bunch I did and believe I did my job well.  Take care of things at home and yourselves, for you are in my thoughts-- always.

"Your Loving Son, Dick."

No comments:

Post a Comment