The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

William Crosswell Croft-- USNA Class of 1940-- Part 5: At pearl Harbor

From the Citadel Memorial Europe:  William Crosswell Croft USNA Class of 1939.  (Although I had it that he was Class of 1940.)

Mr. Croft was on the battleship USS California when Pearl Harbor was attacked:

"On Sunday morning, I was suddenly awakened by the ringing of the general alarm....  I thought this was another drill and I ... looked out of my port hole just in time to see a Japanese plane strafing small boats in the channel not 100 yards away....  This was definitely no drill...

"About 8:10 a.m. an explosion similar to the firing of a turret occurred....  We had been torpedoed."

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment