The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

"We Patch Anything": The WPA's Sewing Rooms-- Part 3

I had never heard of this operation before coming across it in one of my "Looking Back" posts.  I especially liked how they took the WPA's initials and turned it into "WE Patch Anything."

Seamstresses took pride in what they did and would say the WPA stood for "We Patch Anything."  Each item they made had a WPA label on it and the inscription "Not to Be Sold."  I wonder if there are any remaining WPA garments?  Perhaps even collector articles now?

By 1940, the Fort Worth sewing room had 650 women,ages 35-64, and had produced 2,341,369 garments and 130,408 household items.

As the United States drew closer to war, the women began finding better paying jobs in defense industries.  Starting pay in the sewing rooms was $35 a month for 140 hours.

WPA sewing rooms disbanded in 1941.

Something Else I Didn't Know About.  --GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment