The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Yogi At War-- Part 2: On Rocket Ship at D-Day

Yogi Berra spent D-Day on a 36-foot long boat just off the Normandy coast that lobbed rockets inland in support of the troops on the beaches.

He remembered getting in some trouble then:  "I kept coming up top to look around, and they kept telling me to get back down there or I'd get hit.  I just wanted to see what was going on.  I liked it more up there!"

Yogi also served in North Africa and Italy before eventually returning to the States to Groton, Connecticut where he joined the submarine base's baseball team; when the club played against the Major League New York Giants.  In that game, Yogi, a Yankee minor-leaguer, went 3-for-4.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment